Select the test of interest using the drop-down menu or look at a specific body system to view a list of diagnostic tests that are often appropriate. Of course you can find these tests explained on other sites, but it is so helpful to have this site as a quick reference. The information is presented in a very logical, easy-to-read format.
Here is a small sample of the diagnostic tests covered on Harvard's site:
- Oxygen Saturation--Maybe you've wondered about this device (pulse ox)-->
- Barium Swallow/Upper GI--looks at the stomach & upper part of the small intestine
- Venous ultrasound of the legs (doppler) to rule out a blood clot in the legs
- VQ scan of the lungs (ventilation/perfusion scan) to rule out a blood clot in the lungs
- Colonoscopy--Examination of the colon to look for pre-cancerous signs