Friday, January 22, 2010

Anglo Nurse's Reminders of Spanish Translations

Edited to add:  I have used many Spanish/English healthcare translation books.  Far and away my favorites and the two that I recommend are, Medical Spanish, An Instant Translator, by Nasr & Cordero, published by W.B. Saunders  and Spanish for Health Care Professionals, by W.C. Harvey, published by Barron's.  When making blog articles about specific healthcare teaching issues I look for links to reliable Spanish translations. 

So many Google searchers are ending up at this article, but I urge you to use the search box in the right hand column to search my blog further, as you'll likely come to some helpful links to the specific Spanish translations you are looking for.  Meanwhile I'll make it a project to blog a separate page devoted solely to links to good Spanish patient information.

Spanish phrases for me . . . in case I ever need them again

I'm putting a lot of miscellaneous information in my blog right now, things that have been useful to me at one time or another.  I'm overwhelmed with papers that contain helpful information that isn't exactly at my fingertips.

Sometime back, I must have used this Spanish/English "cheat sheet" to help me ask pertinent questions when admitting pediatric patients in a mostly Spanish-speaking city.  Just in case, I'm jotting these notes here for reference.  Actually I had a lot of good Spanish/English medical references that I used to learn the important questions.  I was seeking yes or no answers for the most part.  Not being bilingual, I would most certainly refer anything beyond my expertise to my colleagues who were fluent.  However, I learned to function very independently in most circumstances over time.  It's been a while, so I'm rusty on some of this.  I was happy that I was able to pick out some very glaring inaccuracies just now in a nursing journal article from 1999 that was among my papers.  Seems they didn't proof read and about eight body parts were mislabelled in their list. : )

My List of Important Spanish Phrases for an Anglo Nurse (probably some mistakes here):

Don't be afraid, I'm here to make you feel better.
No tengas miedo. Estoy aqui para hacerles sentir major.

I'm going to weigh you.
Le voy a pesar.
Scale--bascula

I'm here to help.
Estoy aqui para ayudarla.

What have you given him/her?
Que le ha dada usted?

I hope you feel better soon.
Espero que se sienta mejor pronto.

Who's child is it?
De quien es el nino?

Is he taking any medications?
Esta tomando alguna medicinas?

What have you given?
Quye le ha dado Usted?

Are the shots up-to-date?
Esta al corriente sus vacunas su hijo/hija?

Was the baby exposed to TB?
Ha sido expuesto a la tuberculoses?
Contagiouis diseases=enfermedads entagiosos

How long sick?
Cuande se enfermo?

Last doctor visit?
Cuando en la ultima visita al doctor?

Was the birth/delivery normal?
Fue normal al nacimiento?

What was the birth weight?
Cuanto peo al nacer?

Was he premature?
Nacio su hijo premature?

Is he eating and drinking like usual?
Ha estado comiendo y bebiendoa liquidos como lo normal?
Esta tomando o comiento bien?

Does the baby sleep more than normal?
El (or Ella for a girl) bebe duerme mas de le normal?

Does he play like usual?
El bebe juega como lo normal?

Does he vomit right after taking formula?
Vomito immediamenta despues de toma su formula?

Have you changed the formula?
Le ha cambiado la formula.

How often----cada cuanto tiempo
How long ago-----hace cuanto tiempo
Entonces---then . . .
Almost always--casi siempre
Almost never--casi nunca

What kind of formula does he take?
Que marca de formula tomar?

You look very well.
Se va Usted muy bien.

I gave . . .
Le di . . .

I will give medicine for . . .
Voy adarle medicina para . . .

We are going to call the doctor.
Vamos a llarmale el doctor.

Dehydration--deshidratacion
Dehydrated--deshidratado

Crib--la Cuna

Toy--el juGete

Wash your hands.
Lavase las manos . . .

Patient Care Tech--Ayudante de enfermera
Therapist--Terapueta
Technician--tecnico

Birth defect--defecto de nacimiento
Blind--ciego
Deaf--sordo
Mentally retarded--retraso mental

Tonsils--las amIGdalas

Can he crawl/walk?
Puedes gateAR/caminar?

comiZON--itch

Bruise easily?
Se le hacen mohreTONes facilmente?

Scared--Ausustados
Unhappy--Infeliz
Angry--Enojado (if a girl: Enojada)
Happy--Contento
Depressed--Deprimido

Breakfast--El Daysayuno
Lunch--El Almuerzo
Dinner--Le cena

Body parts--just ones that I don't remember well

Ankle--tobillo
Buttocks--nalgas
calf--pantorilla
elbow--codo
Hair--pelo
Heel--talon
shoulder--hombro

Clothes--again, just a partial list

Robe--Bata
Pants--Pantalones
Socks--Calcitones
Stockings--Medias


. . .

No comments: