- Recent surgical procedure (and greater chance of a DVT with a long, intense surgery and joint replacement surgeries)
- Restricted mobility from bedrest, paralysis, traveling for many hours without taking a break to walk around
- Active Cancer
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)--if you take "water pills" and are not sure why--ask your doctor if you have CHF
- Age greater than 40 years old
- Pregnancy and the postpartum period (6-8 weeks after delivery)
- Injury to the leg or the deep veins of the leg
- Use of certain medications such as birth control pills and estrogen
- Current smoker
- Past history of having a blood clot or an inherited family tendency to develop blood clots
Check out their website to learn more about DVT and related conditions such as:
- Post Thrombotic Syndrome (PTS) After a DVT is treated and resolved, this chronic condition may result in up to 40% of all individuals. It's the result of damage done by the clot to the valves that move blood through the vein.
- Pulmonary Embolis (PE) Blood clots in the smallest vessels of the lungs.
- Thrombophila Blood that clots too easily. Hypercoagulability is another word used to describe this condition which can be inherited.
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency results when the valves in the veins that move blood don't function properly, often occurs from injury to veins caused by a DVT, from varicose veins, or as the result of an inherited condition.
The Vascular Disease Foundation has a variety of full-color brochures available for download including a great pamphlet called "Focus on Clots." (This publication was previously called "Spot a Clot," but otherwise it's the exact same informational card.)
You may also request a copy of these brochures by calling toll free: 1-888-833-4463.
Other related publications you can download:
- Vitamin K and Warfarin (Coumadin): http://www.nattinfo.org/documents/KandWarfarin(Web).pdf
- Family Testing for Clotting Disorders http://www.nattinfo.org/fam-test.pdf
- Sanofi-Aventis (makers of the blood thinner Lovenox) provides tips about DVT's, Risk Factors for DVTs, and includes a risk assessment tool.
. . .
. . .